I got some awesome new data to show. The first is the compilation of all the Repeating Crumley experiments. And the second is some new data that I’ve been meaning to create and now have with the help of Koch.
The data above is the compilation of all the RC data. Each trial had different water types, but I combined the samples that were the same in every set (DDW, DI water, 33% D2O, 66% D2O, and 99% D2O). Steve adapted his R-code that applies binomial confidence intervals to a data set and used it on this data. If that makes no sense, then just know that the dotted lines are the most probable range of germination rates. For instance, in 66% D2O there is a ~70% likelihood that seeds will germinate at a rate within the dotted yellow lines.
Now it’s time for some brand new data:
Here we went through the pictures from Trial 5 and compared the growth rates of the roots. We calculated the lengths of various seeds in each image and tracked the changes from image to image. We chose DI, DDW, and 1% D2O, because the D2O concentrations are relatively similar and because we wanted to test a hypothesis from a while ago. It’s interesting that the seeds in DDW and D2O grow at the same rate, while seeds in DI water grow at roughly half the speed.
Yesterday I posted some pictures of E. coli colony morphologies. This was one of the colonies, but it wasn’t as developed, so today I’m adding the extra day’s growth image.
Looks great! It’s interesting to note that the colonies grown on D2O agar grow out. Instead of getting thick like it normally does, it grows in an outward direction. I guess I would attribute that to the stress induced by being in D2O.
Comparing the results from today to WT E. coli grown on DI media and D2O adapted E. coli grown on D2O media, it seems there is an interesting mix of morphological behavior. The adapted E. coli is very “brainy” and obviously the normal WT is “smooth,” but today’s specimen is in between smooth and brainy. Unfortunately I can’t make out the topographical features because the E. coli (as I mentioned above) is very flat. But the contour is very feature rich.
Here are the results of yesterday’s setup. Here I’m comparing 4 samples:
Wild type (WT) E. coli grown on DI LB agar
WT E. coli grown on D2O LB agar
D2O adapted E. coli grown on DI LB agar
D2O adapted E. coli grown on D2O LB agar
All 4 samples were incubated for the same amount of time, and taken from starter cultures of similar absorbance. The absorbances of the starter cultures are as follows:
Wild type (WT) E. coli grown in DI LB – 0.641
WT E. coli grown in D2O LB – 0.325
D2O adapted E. coli grown in DI LB – 0.489
D2O adapted E. coli grown in D2O LB – 0.112
The D2O adapted E. coli took over the DI LB plate! I’ve re-inoculated those cells from that plate to get a picture that would show a typical colony and compare that morphology to the rest. I’ve also allowed the two D2O media samples to incubate for another 24 hours.
It should also be said that the D2O adapted colonies grown on D2O media look distressed compared to the WT colonies on DI media. But compare the two D2O adapted colonies and it’s tough to discern. Whatever mechanism gives the colonies a distressed appearance on D2O media, seems to be completely uninhibited on DI media. It’s tough to tell if the cells are distressed or just out of control.
Still these results seem pretty comparable to the last time I did these experiments (except using YPD). I’ll update again tomorrow, and insert these results into my dissertation.
These are the results of the experiment I stated a couple weeks ago. I have been tracking the deterioration (previously called aggregation, but I’m not entirely sure aggregation is the correct terminology) of YPD in both solvents. Today they looked pretty well degraded so I thought I’d share the results. Between the two, the DI YPD is more absorbent than the D2O YPD at nearly every wavelength measure (major uncertainty below 350nm).
I’m associating degradation with absorbance since the blank (which is also DI YPD) has an absorbance of zero at all the same frequencies.
D2O YPD also records 0 for absorbance at 600nm, which is the wavelength used for cell count studies, so there would be no interference from the solution. Whether or not the media is still usable by cells is undetermined.
I’m beginning a second experiment that would track the absorbance every few days via the same mechanism. If you recall, I began this experiment taking pictures and eventually moved toward using the nanodrop. This probe seems to do a good job so its continued use is reasonable.
Man I’ve been writing my dissertation for too long…