It took me a while, but I finally got my data from the Repeating Crumley set of experiments up on FigShare. Of course, I didn’t call it Repeating Crumley there since that experiment has no context. You can download the data sets and figures here:
Repeating Crumley FigShare Data and Figures
The interesting thing about this site is that your data remains your data but is openly accesible. Each upload is given a citation. Mine is:
Tobacco Seed Growth in D2O. Anthony Salvagno, Steven J. Koch. FigShare. Retrieved 01:40, December 9, 2011
Also there is a little section for social media promotion and it tracks the page analytics for you as well. That is pretty neat!
It did take me a while to get this up on FigShare unfortunately. For a while I couldn’t log in with Twitter, Facebook, or Google. I was asked repeatedly to sign in while trying to upload stuff. Eventually I just gave up and created a new account. Then when I tried to upload my first images, the site was unresponsive. I did spend a considerable amount of time organizing my resources so it would be presentable on FigShare, so that added to the mess a bit. And I also spent some time collecting links from my notebook to incorporate with the data so all experimental information can be collected. I also monified my active experiments page a little so some of the links are easier to navigate.
Despite how time consuming this first run was, it was definitely worth it.
Since this past Friday (Sept 23, 2011) the cooling system at CHTM has been down. I’m not sure if it is turned off for the impending winter or temporarily broken. This means that right now the lab is a toasty 92F and has been that way all weekend long. Unfortunately this can potentially mean a lot with regards to my seed growth experiments. Now I’m not sure if this is actually the case, but I think with regards to the experiments it may be in the best interest to scrap Try 2 for both the Repeating Crumley and the DDW Effects on Seed Growth until the temperature becomes a bit more stabilized. Now I will still record data and keep track of the experiments, but I will not include these results in any final markups. But that doesn’t mean I can’t learn something from these experiment!
I am on Trial 2 of the Repeating Crumley Experiment. Trial 1 was a pretty decent success, but I ran into some issues regarding image acquisition, experiment stability, and water evaporation. I made some adjustments and began the experiment again. Here is how I setup the second trial:
- There are 20 seeds of the Dark Virginia variety from the Tobacco Seed Company in each sample.
- There are 8 water samples: di water, deuterium depleted water, 33% d2o in di water, 66% d2o in di water, 99.9% d2o, 33% d2o in ddw, 66% d2o in ddw, and a sample of di water without any seeds.
- The sample of di water with no seeds is acting as a control to monitor the possibility of fungal/mold growth. 20 seeds were added to water and allowed to incubate in solution for 30 minutes. At the end of the incubation period the seeds were removed and the sample was sealed.
- The seeds were added to each sample container (analyslides), and a water type was added immediately after seed addition.
- After closing the samples, clear nail polish was added around the rim to seal the chambers from the surrounding environment.
- Data is taken using a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910.
In the previous trial, the images were taken from below the samples. This resulted in several sample drops. In this trial, I have placed the samples flat on the lab top and am taking data from above the samples. In this manner, the samples have been significantly less agitated then before.
My biggest worry is that the nail polish has/will contaminate(d) the water samples, producing undesirable results. I have ordered a bunch of supplies to test what may create the best seal, while creating the least amount of interaction with the sample water. That experiment will be started as soon as possible and the result will be used to create a third trial run.