D2O Adaptation Day 12

So the Balloon Fiesta was this weekend and I didn’t get an opportunity to get in lab. But it didn’t much matter because the results I got Thursday and Friday of last week were not consistent/reliable. Out of that frustration I did an ONS no no and didn’t write any posts. That and I had no time because I was working on my SACNAS poster. Regardless, I hold myself accountable and make no excuses (except for the ones I mentioned above).

I’ll post my results later this afternoon from those days. I thought there were issues with the nanodrop, turns out evaporation from my blank cuvette was the culprit. A while ago I measured an appropriate volume to fill my cuvettes so I don’t waste too much yeast. I discovered that 400ul worked well. Thus I filled all my cuvettes to that volume. Additionally the blank cuvette gets for extended periods of time. After about a week or so the volume reduces to around 300ul which I discovered the nanodrop has a difficult time reading at that volume. So therein lies my issues from last week. Today I made a new blank cuvette to take readings from.

On Friday I innoculated some culture from the Thursday (Day 8) samples. Today I measured the results of that growth (72h later) and innoculated new cultures. Here are the measurements:

  • 50% D2O (5th Gen) – 3.145 at 72h
  • 99% D2O (5th Gen) – 2.958 at 72h
  • 50% D2O (6th Gen) – 1.101 at 0h
  • 99% D2O (6th Gen) – 0.669 at 0h

As I said, I’ll publish the failed results later this afternoon. I have a presentation on Open Notebook Science to give at 1:30 for the PNMGC. Wish me luck!

About Anthony

Advanced ape that understands logic, creativity, emotion, and expression. Displays great cognitive skills with somewhat limited communication skills. I'm some kind of new smart ape, artist extraordinaire, lover and fighter, and damned fine scientist.