D2O Adaptation Day 8

I setup new cultures for 99% D2O and 50% D2O making this the 4th generation of yeast in D2O. Yesterday I ran out of D2O YPD and had to deal with a smaller batch for the 50% D2O yeast. Today I made some new 99% D2O YPD and inoculated 1ml of each yeast-water type in 9ml of each YPD type. Then I took some measurements.

Today’s Absorption measurements are:

  • D2O (Generation 3) – 2.351 at 24h
  • 50% D2O (gen 3) – 2.65 at 24 h
  • D2O (gen 4) – 0.041 at 0h
  • 50% D2O (gen 4) – 0.419 at 0h

It was interesting to find that the 24h batch of 99% D2O yeast had an absorbance of 2.351 for 2 reasons; 1) that’s a good amount for 24h from what I’ve been observing and 2) because my 1:10 dilution resulted in a much different absorption than 50% D2O yeast (note that they started at a similar value).

When I tried to analyze by eye it was apparent there was a difference in absorbance but it definitely didn’t look 10x less clear. But I did notice that the cells in 50% D2O seemed to be pretty uniformly “dissolved” (I don’t really know what to call that). Meanwhile, the cells in 99% D2O seemed to form larger clumps and the average “particle” size (I’m guessing they are colony clumps) was larger than the clumps in 50% D2O.

I’ll have to analyze this under a microscope and report observations, something that will have to wait until tomorrow or next week.

 

About Anthony

Advanced ape that understands logic, creativity, emotion, and expression. Displays great cognitive skills with somewhat limited communication skills. I'm some kind of new smart ape, artist extraordinaire, lover and fighter, and damned fine scientist.