D-exchange over time

This is a follow up from the experiment on Thursday with results posted on Friday. At my request, Scott measured the exposed DDW sample over time on Friday and Saturday (I believe). He also made a concoction by mixing the DDW I gave him with some other water he labels as “1.28 at. % water.” I’m not sure of the ratios of DDW to mystery water but I’ll find out.

Either way, here are some preliminary results. Plotted above is the ratio of Deuterium to Oxygen-18 for each water sample. The pure DDW sample is to the left. As you can see, the amount of D and O-18 increases each day and is approaching natural water readings. I’d say that is to be expected. The mystery water that Scott made seems to have D and O-18 added to the water and those amounts are dropping back to the normal water range. If I’m understanding this correctly, I’d say that is to be expected as well. DI water is being measured as well and that sits right in the natural water range.

Some notes:

  • I’d say it would be pretty interesting to watch the D/O-18 ratio change daily for an extended period of time. I’d assume the fluctuations may be random daily.
  • It would be interesting to have some natural NM rain water and tap water compared with the DI water and watch those fluctuations.
  • I should find out what volume of water we’re dealing with. With regards to the Crumley experiments, I used 6mL of water. And for the yeast and e.coli experiments I  used 10mL of water. I think we are dealing with less in these experiments, so D-exchange might not be as prevalent as I assumed. The microbe experiments last a day, and the Crumley experiments were for two weeks, but were as isolated from the environment as possible.
  • We should track the evaporation rate.

There is a lot to consider in these experiments and right now, my brain is swirling with ideas and results. A planning meeting seems to be in order.