This is, I believe, the fourth trial of doing yeast growth time points. I setup the starter cultures and made some new YPD broth and here is how I did it:
- I still had some YPD from the last time I made broth, so I used that for the starter cultures.
- 10ml of each type of YPD (DI, DDW, and D2O) in test tubes
- Inoculated a single colony from agar media into each sample
- Mix, cover, and incubate at 30C at 150RPM in shaker.
- To make YPD broth:
- Measure appropriate amount of YPD powder for each sample (5g for DI and DDW, 4.6g for D2O)
- Measure out water (100ml of DDW and DI, 92ml of D2O)
- Stir in beaker
- Use syringe and filters to filter large particles and possible microbes in water/broth and syringe into closeable bottles.
- Place in fridge for storage.
- There was a bunch of mold in some samples of the yeast colonies, so I threw those out in biowaste. In some other samples, the colonies were overgrown so I also put those in biowaste. I started another agar media colony (just streak a colony onto a ypd agar plate, pre-purchased) to replenish my stash.
- I used only 92ml of D2O because that is all there was in the bottle. Since I’m using 50g/L ypd powder that means I need 4.6g of powder for my liquid media. Hence the numbers provided above.
Tomorrow begins the time trials, yay!