DDW4: Day 7

Focus on the middle sample in each image.

I have to say I’m convinced. I’m convinced that the root hairs are a real phenomenon of growing in ddw. All of the tobacco seed samples (havanna and virginia gold) growing in ddw have at least one or two seeds that have root hairs. ALL. The DI and the tap water samples are barely growing hairs. There is a clear difference between these hairs and the DDW samples.

As for the arabidopsis. I don’t know. The only thing I’m noticing is that the stems are growing very crooked. So crooked that most of the seedlings have intertwined. This is tough to confirm because the DI sample barely sprouted, but the tap water sample appears to have longer persistance lengths (to borrow a word from DNA). By this I mean the angle of curvature is greater in the tap water than in all the ddw samples which tend to curve like no ones business.

I can confirm this by comparing to the previous batch of samples. The tap and di water samples had similarly longer curve radii, while the ddw (which had to start after) seeds got all tangled together.

What should I make of this?!?!?!?!?

  • http://stevekochscience.blogspot.com Steve Koch

    Can you make an image that shows all the repeats above / below each other?  The curviness of the arabidopsis looks real.  If you could show each trial above another trial of tap, that would be convincing.  It’s worrisome that didn’t sprout in DI though.

    • http://www.iheartanthony.com Anthony Salvagno

      I think those died because they were too close to the laptop cooler, but the tap water samples were right next to them and they are fine so I’m not sure what happened. I don’t think it is worrisome, just a minor experimental error.

      What do you mean by “Can you make an image that shows all the repeats above / below each other?” And by “show each trial above another trial” do you mean show the pictures from the previous experiment in a side-by-side? I think I can do that. I actually thought about that yesterday but was like “This is the internet, you can just click DDW3 and see for yourself.”

      • http://stevekochscience.blogspot.com Steve Koch

        Yeah, I meant make something so you can see it all at once (with labels) on one screen.  A good guide would be to make a single powerpoint slide for Alex’s presentation that shows like 3-5 curvy DDW pictures on top row and 3-5 straight tap water pictures underneath.  Crop the photos so there’s only one cuvette in each photo and label it and say, “Preliminary work indicates that arabidopsis roots grow with much more curvature when deuterium-depleted.”   You could upload this to figshare is another idea.

        • http://www.iheartanthony.com Anthony Salvagno

          Yea I’m working on the FigShare stuff now. I’m putting up the RC stuff first. Ok that sounds reasonable, I’ll work on that.

          • http://stevekochscience.blogspot.com Steve Koch

            It’s probably not a priority, but if you find yourself wanting to upload a bunch of images to figshare, with some common information, you should talk with Mark Hahnel (one of the founders) about getting an automated script to save a ton of time.  It’s not worth doing a bunch individually.  Doing one (like when you make a final figure for a paper or presentation) does make sense by hand.

  • Bill Hooker

    Can you expand on your comment regarding the laptop cooler?  You’re really going to need all the cuvettes to be experiencing the same “climate”.

    • http://www.iheartanthony.com Anthony Salvagno

      Certainly. We have these little laptop coolers that we use for molecular biological components, and they have a fan on the bottom to push out hot air from the cooler. They must be something like 8in wide by 15in long by 12in high (just a guesstimate). When the cuvettes are not setup for pictures they are in cuvette racks, and I accidentally placed one of the racks right next to the cooler not thinking about the heat from the cooler. I noticed the next day that the tap water and DI water samples were warmer than all the rest and realized what was going on and moved the racks to another location. None of the other samples were above RT, but I moved them all just to be safe.

      My hunch is that the higher T for the DI sample killed the seeds as I saw during the RC and DDW trial 2 when the lab got ridiculously hot and nothing grew. But they only didn’t grow in that one sample. This all happened between day 1 and day 2 when I took the first set of pictures. I moved them prior to taking the Day 2 pictures, which is when the tobacco seeds first began to sprout (this is why the seeds in that sample have already sprouted but never continued their germination).